Gørild M. Heggelund
- Affiliated Organization: Fridtjof Nansen Institute (FNI)
- Fields: Climate and Environment, Climate Change, Policy and Governance
- Research Professor at Fridtjof Nansens Institute
- +47 99242512
- Other Information:
My main research interests are within the fields of China's environmental, energy and climate change policies, with focus on policymaking and policy implementation, the role of the actors, bureaucracy and institutions.
In recent years, my research also concerns China’s engagement, policies and interests in the Arctic. Current research covers China’s energy and climate policies, with special focus on renewables (solar & wind) and electric vehicles (EVS); China’s carbon market; China’s role in climate and environmental governance such as in the UNFCCC, Minamata Convention on Mercury and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
Ongoing research pertains to Covid-19 impact on climate change policy, on environmental policy and wildlife management, and how the pandemic has affected relations with Africa. In addition to research, my long-term work experience in the field has led to participation in international evaluation projects in the energy sector in China.
Background & Experience
- Research Professor, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (FNI) (since 2019)
- Dr. Artium., University of Oslo, Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages (2002)
- Cand. Philol., Master in Chinese, University of Oslo (Chinese studies, culture, language, politics, history, environment) (1992)
- Peking University, Diploma (1987-89)
- Beijing Language Institute, Diploma (1985-86)
- Research professor, FNI (since 2019)
- Senior Research Fellow, FNI (2002-2019)
- Senior Research Fellow and China Representative for FNI (2014-2017)
- Senior Climate Change Advisor UNDP China Country Office, (2009-2014).
- Researcher & PhD candidate/Senior Research Fellow, FNI (1997-2009)
- Junior professional officer (JPO), UNDP China, Energy and Environment Division (1995-97).
- JPO, UNIFEM, China (World Conference on Women (WCW)) (1994-95).
More information on Gørild M. Heggelund on the FNI website